Tuesday, June 7

A Delicious Dinner

My mother is a phenomenal cook. She doesn't like to bake (because that requires measuring ingredients) but she can sure cook gourmet. There's not a meal that she couldn't make bigger and better than the top chefs.

Because of my ornate mother, I have become a foodie myself. I love the flavors of food. I enjoy eating simply because of the wonderful flavors that be created. This has created a desire in me to be an wonderful cook.

It has been quite the challenge to live up to my mother's shoes since I now have my own family that I have to delight with food. I mean, it is just Jordan and I, but still! Jordan will eat pretty much anything placed in front of him yet I still feel the need to provide delicious delectable dinners. I sure do try! I've learned so much over the past year of cooking on my own.

A great part about being home for break (and back in my mother's kitchen) is the fact that I get to help her with cooking dinner. I learn something new every day whether it be the specifics of how to cook a certain meat or how to use a new tool. I sure do love it. Cooking in the kitchen is a fun way that we get to spend time together too.

So last week, my mom threw down the challenge that I had to plan, prepare, and cook the entire dinner by myself for her, my dad, and Jordan. She had a late hair appointment that night so she wouldn't have any time to cook or help!

I nervously accepted. I knew I would have tough critics. Since my dad has been spoiled by my mom's food for almost 25 years - he KNOWS good food. And well Jordan, if it involves meat and potatoes than it's fabulous!

The meal plan: marinated pork chops, sauteed apples, and wonderful grilled potatoes.
The players: thin pork chops marinated over the day in an delicious marinade found online, my mom's recipe for incredible sauteed apples, and my miraculously discovered earlier this semester grilled lemon herbed potatoes.
The verdict: Mom & Dad absolutely fell over the grilled potatoes. They loved them! The marinade was delicious and had tons of flavor. The apples were delicious as always - like eating dessert!

The recipes are shared below! Try & Enjoy! 
Let me know what you think.


Marinated Pork Chops
Printable Version of this Recipe


6 pork chops (I prefer the thin ones)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
3 garlic cloves minced/pressed (original recipe called for 1)

Combine & mix all ingredients except the pork in a glass container; add pork and turn it to coat. Cover container; refrigerate most of the day (or even overnight!) Drain & discard marinade. Grill until the juices run clear. It took about 8 minutes for my thin pork chops to be done; the recipe which calls for 1 inch thick chops says 20-25 minutes for that thickness.

Sauteed Apples
Printable Version of this Recipe
6 apples cored & thinly sliced (peeled or unpeeled; your choice)
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
cinnamon to taste (about 1-2 tablespoons)

Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced apples (I do mine unpeeled). Add brown sugar. Sautee for about 10 minutes; then add cinnamon to taste. Can turn heat down to low and keep on until the rest of your food is ready to eat!!

Grilled Lemon Herbed Potatoes
Printable Version of this Recipe
5 potatoes (about 1 potato/person) sliced at 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
1 1/2 cup olive oil
2 lemons juiced
fresh basil
fresh rosemary
dried oregano (about 1 tablespoon)



Boil a large pot of water; place the sliced potatoes in the boiling water for about 8 minutes (this is a quick par boil). Cut however much herb that you desire. I try to get the more rosemary than basil. Total herb together is about 1/2 cup; you can use your judgement. Combine oil and lemon juice in a dish that is large enough to dip the potato rounds in. Then add the herbs. After parboiling the potatoes, dip and coat each slice in the oil mixture and set aside in a dish until each is covered. Grill over high heat for about 7 minutes per side. They should have a crunchy/crispy grilled edge and have the consistency of a great french fry in the center. Then after you take them off the grill; pour the rest of the oil mixture onto the potatoes again to give them the finishing touch. (if you have used it all - simply make more!!) Te amo these grilled potatoes.

*Note: These pictures are not of my food since I neglected to take photos :(

Enjoy a wonderful dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment