Saturday, July 9

A Summer Delight

My newest addiction is Pinterest (follow me) I've already slightly mentioned Pinterest on a previous post but not about how devoted I am to this wonderful website. It is like a combination of a favorites folder, a google search, and a twitter account. You have an account like twitter where people can follow you (follow me on Twitter). You post or "pin" things to your profile that you like sort of like a favorites folder on your internet browser. You can also search through what other people are pinning in categories or in general making it like a google search. People pin things like recipes, crafts, clothing, home decor, photography, quotes, jewelry, places to visit... you name it - it's being pinned!


All of that to say that one of my favorite things to discover through Pinterest is recipes! I have over 100 recipes that I want to try already on my Delicious Food board.

I read some various ones to my mom on the way back from Iowa yesterday and we decided to try a few tonight with dinner. We simply grilled two tuna steaks and one chicken breast. (I'm not a fan of fish & Jordan's out hunting tonight hence the three hunks of meat) We also grilled pineapple, which is my favorite way to eat it!

The recipes chosen from Pinterest were the easy parmesan knots and grilled sweet potatoes. The grilled sweet potatoes were similar to my grilled potato recipe but obvious with a different potato. ;) They both were fabulous! I would definitely make them again. My mom said this was her favorite way ever to have sweet potatoes!

Easy Parmesan Knots
Printable Version of Recipe
1 tube of refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic power
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes


Roll each biscuit into a rope about 12 inches long. Tie it into a knot and tuck the ends under. Place each knot 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. I had to cook mine for about 12 minutes so that the inner dough was cooked.

In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; brush the warm knots with the parmesan herb mixture.


Grilled Sweet Potato Salad
Printable Version of this Recipe
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled (used 1 potato per person)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2-3 scallions, sliced diagonally
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
handful chopped cilantro



Preheat grill. Add sweet potatoes into a large saucepan and cover with cold salted water by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer, covered, and cook until just tender, about 15 to 30 minutes, depending on size and amount of potatoes. You want the potatoes firm and not too soft. Place potatoes in a colander and run under cold water to cool. With a sharp knife cut potatoes crosswise into 1/4 to 1/2 thick slices.

In a small bowl whisk together oil, salt, and cumin and brush some onto both sides of potato slices, saving the remaining oil. I recommend doubling the recipe for the cumin oil.

Grill potato slices on an oiled rack until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side (I grilled them about 2 minutes per side) and a transfer with tongs to a platter. Sprinkle green onion over grilled potatoes. Whisk lime juice into remaining cumin oil with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle over potatoes. Serve potato salad with additional lime wedges and chopped cilantro if desired.


Enjoy! If you try either of these, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment